1834- Major Kemp Gaines proposed Gainsboro (originally named Gainsesborough).

1852- Gainsboro became known as “Old Lick” at when the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad was built to pass through the south of Gainsboro.

1855- At this point, 25-30 buildings stood in Gainsboro, with a population of 200-300 people. It was referred to as Roanoke’s “first middle class neighborhood”

1867- the First Baptist Church (a predominantly black church) was organized.

1882- The Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church is established. Later, it would be relocated during the Gainsboro Clearance project.

1884- The Mt. Zion Baptist Church was established. It was relocated close to where the Civic Center was built, and it’s structure was purchased in 1968.

1885- The Gilmer School was built as a small, four-room, brick building. It started of as a White school.

1892- Hill Street Baptist Church was established- it’s structure was later to be purchased by the city of Roanoke in the Gainsboro clearance project and demolished in 1978.

1890s-1920s- Whites began to relocate out of Gainsboro and it began to develop as a predominantly Black neighborhood.

1908- The Ebenezer A.M.E. Church was established- it’s building would later be demolished in the Gainsboro Clearance project.

1911- The Maple Street Baptist was established- it’s structure would later be sold in 1951.

1935- Gilmer Elementary School became an African American school for Northeast Roanoke.

1950- Black income in Roanoke was half of White income.

1952- By this time, the first housing projects (Lincoln Terrace and Lansdowne Park) were finished.

1955- Work on the Commonwealth Project begins: this includes the widening of Williamson Road, a new Holiday Inn and a Magic City Ford. (Mostly residential areas removed for this project).

1956-1957- Over 100 homes were burned down for a cheaper method of demolition.

1961- Old Lick Cemetery was relocated.

1964- Work on the Kimball Project begins: this includes a new main post office, the NW Computer Center and Roanoke gas offices.

1966- I-581, including the Orange Ave interchange, is completed.

1968- Civic Center is built on land already cleared from the Commonwealth Project.

1973- Gainsboro Clearance: hundreds of houses are demolished.

1976-1995- 79 new houses are built between Cherry Ave and Harrison Ave.

1983- A new First Baptist Church is built after clearing block at Jefferson Street and Wells Avenue.

1984- Demolition begins in Gainsboro to make room for the expanding of the Coca Cola plant.

1991- Widening and rerouting of Wells Ave is proposed; the Historic Gainsboro Preservation District vetoes the project which would have resulted in the demolition of even more homes.